2003 Professional Activities of District Staff
Scott Tucker, Executive Director
- 2003 Top Ten Public Works Leader, awarded by the American Public Works
- Speaker, Boston Society of Civil Engineers Hydraulics and Water Resources
Group's Kennison Dinner, Boston, MA in May.
- Presenter, National League of Cities workshop on Phase II Stormwater
Regulatory Program, Nashville, TN, in December.
- Member of Board of Directors and Co-Chairman of the Stormwater Management
Committee of National Association of Flood and Stormwater Management
- Member of American Public Works Association, American Society of Civil
Engineers, and Water and Environment Federation.
- Member, Stormwater Advisory Committee, Arapahoe County.
- Member, Stormwater Management Advisory Committee, City and County of
- Member, Independent Review Panel, City of Boulder.
Bill DeGroot, Chief, Floodplain Management Program
- Chair of the Floodplain Management Committee of NAFSMA.
- Chaired a session on Floodplain Management Issues at NAFSMA's annual
meeting in Chicago in November. Also presented a paper on District DFIRM
- Attended a "by invitation only" meeting with FEMA in Atlanta in
February. The purpose of the meeting was to develop criteria for the
allocation of map modernization funds.
- Co-authored with Kevin Long, FEMA Washington, and presented two papers on
"Countywide Digital Conversion, City and County of Broomfield" and
"Letter of Map Change Delegation to Cooperating Technical
Partners" at the ASFPM annual conference in St. Louis in May.
- Presented an update on the District's Letter Of Map Change pilot project
at the CASFM conference in Breckenridge in September.
- Presented "Converting Broomfield's Flood Insurance Rate Map to a
Digital Product" at the GIS in the Rockies conference in Denver in
- Presented an update on the District's DFIRM conversion and LOMC pilot
project at the ASCE Colorado Section Water Resources Group meeting in
February in Denver.
- Member of ASFPM's State Business Plan Work Group, tasked with writing
guidance for states to prepare business plans for managing components of
FEMA's map modernization program.
- Member of Association of State Floodplain Managers, American Society of
Civil Engineers, and Colorado Association of Stormwater and Floodplain
Kevin Stewart, Information Systems and Flood Warning Program
- Chair of National Hydrologic Warning Council (NHWC) representing
Southwestern Association of ALERT Systems (SAAS).
- Member of U.S. Department of the Interior Advisory Committee on Water
Information, Subcommittee on Hydrology
- Invited speaker at American Meteorological Society's First Users
Conference "Weather and Climate Services for Managing Water Resources
and Surface Transportation" in Long Beach in February.
- Speaker at ALERT Users Group meeting in Los Angeles in May.
- Invited participant at National Weather Service Partners Workshop in
Silver Spring, MD in September.
- Speaker at National Safety Council, 90th Annual Congress & Exposition
in San Diego in October.
- Speaker & moderator at Fifth NHWC National Conference & Exposition
in Dallas in October.
- Invited participant at U.S. Department of the Interior, Water 2025 Science
and Technology Workshop in Denver in November.
Ben Urbonas, Chief, Master Planning & South Platte River Programs
- Gave a talk at the Northglenn Holiday Inn in April about BMP Effectiveness
in Semi-Arid Climates at the District and CASFM co-sponsored one-day seminar
on Experiences with BMPs.
- Presented a paper in November on "Restoring Natural Waterways in
Denver, USA Area" at the NATO Advanced Research Workshop on Enhancing
Urban Environment in Rome, Italy.
- Co-authored a paper with John Doerfer on Master Planning for presentation
at the EWRI Annual Meeting in Philadelphia in August.
- Was reappointed by Governor Ovens to the Board of Directors of the Cherry
Creek Basin Water Quality Authority until July, 2007.
Continued to serve on the Water Environment Research Foundation's Stormwater
Technical Advisory Committee and on three of its research project
- Received a 2003 ASCE State-of-the-Art Award for work on the development of
the National BMP Database.
Elevated to a Life Member by the American Society of Civil Engineers.
Dave Lloyd, Chief, Design and Construction Program
- Presented "Major Steam Restoration in the Denver Metropolitan
Area" at the CASFM Conference in Breckenridge in September.
Member of Board of Directors on the Metro Wastewater Reclamation District.
- Member of CASFM and APWA.
Cindy Thrush, Senior Project Engineer, Maintenance Program
- Vice-Chair of the Board of Directors for the Colorado Association of
Stormwater and Floodplain Managers (CASFM).
- Editor of the CASFM newsletter.
- Presented "Monitoring Stream Restoration Projects, Why We Should
Always Look Back" at the 34th Annual International Erosion Control
Conference in Las Vegas, NV in February.
- Co-Authored Paper entitled "Restoring Natural Waterways in Denver,
USA Area." Presented by Ben Urbonas at the NATO Advanced Research
Workshop on Enhancing Urban Environment in Rome, Italy in November.
Bryan Kohlenberg, Senior Project Engineer, South Platte River Program
- Continued as NSPE's scoring coordinator for the Jefferson Chapter and
Colorado State MATHCOUNTS competitions for 7th and 8th graders.
- Co-authored paper with Ben Urbonas, Mark Hunter, and Cindy Thrush on
"Restoring Natural Waterways in Denver, USA Area." Presented by
Ben Urbonas at the NATO Advanced Research Workshop on Enhancing Urban
Environment in Rome, Italy in November.
Paul Hindman, Senior Project Engineer, Design and Construction Program
- Co-authored and presented paper with Jeff Fisher titled "The Cost of
Maintaining Water Quality Ponds", at the 2003 American Public Works
Association (APWA) International Public Works Congress and Exposition in San
- Chair of Education Outreach Committee for the Cherry Creek Stewardship
- Organized Project WET workshop for elementary and middle school teachers
in the Cherry Creek basin for CCSPCo-*Chair of annual conference for CCSP.
- Chair of the Site Selection Committee for the APWA International Public
Works Congress and Exposition.
- Chair of Scholarship Committee for the Colorado Chapter of APWA.
John Doerfer, Project Hydrologist, Master Planning Program
- Chairman, Municipal Workgroup, Colorado Stormwater Task Force.
- Member, Urban Water Resources Research Council, Environment and Water
Resources Institute (EWRI), ASCE.
- Secretary, Standards Committee - Management Practice for Control of
Erosion and Sediment, EWRI/ASCE.
- Co-Author with Ben Urbonas, "Urban Watershed Master Planning for
Stream Protection in the Denver Metropolitan Area," Symposium on the
Protection and Restoration of Urban and Rural Streams, June 23-26, 2003,
Philadelphia, PA.. ASCE.
- Session Moderator, World Water & Environmental Resources Congress
2003, EWRI/ASCE, in Philadelphia in June.
- Member, Impacted Water Supplies Advisory Committee, Colorado Water Quality
Mark Hunter, Chief, Maintenance Program
- Committee member for the IECA-Mountain States Chapter.
- Member of IECA Technical Review Committee and Awards Committee.
- Co-Chairman, IECA Stream Restoration Technical Section
David Mallory, Senior Project Engineer, Floodplain Management Program
- Member of CASFM and ASFPM.
David Bennetts, Senior Project Engineer, Maintenance Program
- Conference Co-Chair for the 14th Annual CASFM Conference in Breckenridge
Jeff Fisher, Engineering Inspector, Maintenance Program
- Co-authored and presented paper with Paul Hindman titled "The Cost of
Maintaining Water Quality Ponds". at the 2003 American Public Works
Association International Public Works Congess and Exposition in San Diego,
Steve Materkowaki, Engineering Inspector,South Platte River Program
- Passed the FE Exam and registered as an EIT in Colorado
- Initiated into the Chi Epsilon Engineering Society
] [ Cover Story ] [ Tucker Talk ] [ Awards ] [ Floodplain Management ] [ Maintenance Eligibility ] [ Flood Warning ] [ Master Planning ] [ Stormwater Permits ] [ Atmospheric Dust ] [ South Platte River ] [ Protecting Trees ] [ Design and Construction ] [ Maintenance ] [ News Briefs ] [ Professional Activities ]